Wednesday 2 July 2014

Marlborough International Jazz Festival and Awdry Bailey & Douglas


Marlborough International Jazz Festival is a huge event that takes place annually over a weekend in the month of July.  Thousands of people attend. The Priory Marquee is a popular “hot” spot during the jazz festival. 

PR, Events and Marketing Manager Keshani Douglas takes time out from her busy schedule to chat  to us regarding Awdry Bailey and Douglas Solicitors (“ABD”)  and their sponsorship involvement at Marlborough’s busiest events -  Marlborough International Jazz Festival... 

Keshani, how did you get involved with ABD?

I have been involved with ABD for some 20 years plus in various capacities.  ABD has existed since approximately 1750 so it goes back a long way.  We have offices in Chippenham, Devizes, Royal Wootton Bassett as well as Marlborough.  The Marlborough office was set up in 2007 and has been very busy ever since. 

What is your role at ABD?

My role is PR, Events and Marketing Manager at ABD. My career path has always been heavily involved in marketing and selling which I thoroughly enjoy. I used to work for a company that taught businesses how to market, sell and advertise which is where I got my skills from. I then went on to selling for a number of years.  Event organising is a skill which I really enjoy – it is really hard work though and lot of people do not realise this. It is all about the work behind the scenes as well as on the day in order to make it run smoothly.

My capacity as PR, Events and Marketing Manager became more involved with ABD about 3 years ago when I organised seminars and events as well as blog writing. It really took off from there. ABD realised how important marketing is and decided to employ me!! I always welcome and enjoy the marketing challenges thrown at me and my role is forever developing in different marketing directions!  I organised a seminar recently and 100 people attended. My job can be very stressful because everything depends on deadline dates. I am very particular about the way I work. Everything has to be exactly right. Timing and organisation is key.  I have a pen and notebook by my bed and wake up in the middle of the night and jot notes down - normally a “to do” list.  ABD is a high profile firm having been recognised nationally and we also like to support a lot of local events and charities where possible.  

How did the firm get involved with Marlborough Jazz?

Marlborough International Jazz is a very popular and exciting 3 day festival that takes place over a weekend in many venues across the town of Marlborough. It takes place annually. The town really does become like a mini New Orleans!  

ABD became involved as a main sponsor in 2008.  The firm felt that it was important to be part of the community and also to help support the towns’ events.  We sponsor the Priory Gardens Marquee which takes a massive amount of people. The tent is normally packed out come rain or shine during the Marlborough Jazz weekend. Famous musicians such as Clare Teal, Georgie Fame, Jive Aces (UK’s No 1 Swing band) , Aker Bilk , legendary Buddy Greco (survivor of Hollywood’s famous “rat pack”) plus many more have all performed in the Marquee. This festival attracts as well as locals, thousands of people from all over the country!  

What happens over the Jazz weekend in the Priory Marquee?

It’s a really exciting weekend there is a real buzz throughout the town as people get ready for the festival. As soon as the marquee is set up the entertainers arrive with their gear. They normally get practising as soon as they can before the seats are filled.  Our banners and balloons are set up around the marquee to help get the event off to a great start. Friday night in the marquee always has people swaying and dancing whilst enjoying the beat of the music – it’s like one big party! Saturday throughout the day and evening is very busy with different bands entertaining. Sunday tends to be a little more civilised. It then ends on Sunday afternoon and everything is taken down and packed away until next time.  

Do you have any other events and seminars coming up?

Yes, plenty. But I am on holiday soon just for a break! No doubt I will keep connected with my computer though! 

Keshani Douglas PR, Events and Marketing Manager 
01380 722311 
keshani.douglas@awdrys.co.uk

Find out more about Marlborough Jazz at www.marlboroughjazz.com